Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Family of Art

I was very excited to act on the inspiration the education department gave me at their intern talk and volunteer at the MCA's November Family Day last weekend. I was assisting with a project called the Art Telescope. Kids were given cardboard boxes in their unfolded state, they were asked to paint them as fully and as abstractly as they wished.



Once the paint was (mostly) dry we volunteers folded up and taped up the boxes, with the painting on the inside. Because of holes that were already cut in the boxes, the kids could peek in from different angles and see what their work looked like from a completely different perspective than they had when they painted it. It was very creative and fun.
I loved getting paint on my hands and helping the kids. It was interesting to see all the different styles the kids had and styles of parenting the parents had. But even though it was fun, and I could have kept doing it all day, I was glad when my shift ended and I could check out all the other fun things going on around the museum.

In the 2nd floor annex there were performances by ensembles either completely, or at least featuring, kids and teens. It was great to listen to this very accomplished jazz ensemble of young musicians.

The third floor also had some arty activities, the most visually stimulating being the dress up area. Big squares of color-sorted clothes for kids to try on and get their picture taken in. I loved this little girl with a mulit-layer cape.

Family Day at the MCA was just as fun as I hoped it would be. And the atmosphere was truly like a big block party. Definitely a community, or even better a huge extened family. I will look forward to going back, and hopefully bringing some more people with me.

No comments: