Saturday, December 4, 2010

Without You I am Nothing

So much of our culture now concentrates on things that are participatory. It seems that the more we get involved in the virtual world, the more we use them to feel connected to others. Blogs, Facebook wall debates, and voting on our favorite American Idol all make us feel involved an connected to the larger world.
I think this is also why I love the new exhibition at the MCA, "Without You I am Nothing." Art that engages has its roots in the 1960's, this show ranges from that era to today. Many of the pieces in the show are from the MCA collection, and it is nice to see these old friends again. But even beyond that, the power of this show are how these pieces beg for a connection. The idea is that all these pieces gain new dimensions of meaning when engaged by the viewer. It is a case of, if the art exists in the forest, where no one can see it, does it mean anything. And the curators take the stance that these pieces mostly don't. (In the pic above take special note of the clam shell, it will come into play later.)
I have a little bit of an extra thrill when looking at this exhibition, beyond loving the pieces. I assisted a curatorial intern to find quotes from each artist to be included in the labels:
It was very cool to see such a direct result of my work/time at the MCA library. Very cool.
Speaking of old friends,

Who doesn't love Koons's rabbit? It is gorgeous, and adorable, and literally awesome.


So many pieces in this exhibit must be experienced to really get the impact of the art. I plan on spending part of my lunch hour every day I am at the MCA enjoying this show.
To that end this week I took my knitting and sat in the clam shell. It really requires you to lay down, and as you enter the shell, you realize that there are gentle ocean sounds emanating from the center of the piece. When you lay back, the effect is extremely calming and almost womb-like. The ultimate relaxation break. The pic here is my point of view while laying in the shell. I look forward to sharing a pic of the POV from each piece which can be sat on, because the clam shell is not the only one. This is another thing which I believe truly thrills in an art museum--"You mean I can touch it!? I can sit on it!?" Wow, who can resist!? I for one often have to resist the urge to touch sculptures, which often seem to be begging for a caress. This exhibit has plenty of pieces you must still resist the urge (the Koons bunny), but pieces like the clam shell are a welcome respite, in more ways than one.





No comments: